Corporate Camper

Cutting commuting by camping near the office; saving cash, saving time and polluting less.

Friday, June 02, 2006

Gear

I keep having to remind myself that the whole point of this camping lark is to save money. I keep finding myself looking at all the gear you can buy from the on-line retailers.
Luckily I'm pretty tight fisted these days and it takes a lot for me to part with any cash, I haven't succumbed yet!

I have been thinking about the gear I have and, specifically, if there is anything else I need. I think I'm pretty much covered.

The only thing I struggle with when camping (as apposed to staying in hotels like I used to) is getting work done in the evening. The tent is too small for a desk and chair, you can get small tables but I don't think it would be comfortable.

I think the answer may well be to get a Carnopy. I already have a decent folding aluminium table and I could use the back of the car as a seat. That way I could have a covered area to catch up with a bit of work/cook/drink wine/relax.

The only other areas that need attention are lighting and power. I have a decent 1,000,000 candle power torch but I could use a lantern for more long-term lighting, something cheap and rechargeable would do. As for power, I don't need much; something to charge laptop, phone and lantern would be fine. In theory the car should do all this but I have twice flattened the battery...

The only other thing on my list is a wind-up radio... I really want one.

2 Comments:

At 6:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found your blog on your sig link from UK Camp site. I like what you have to say about stuff.
About five years ago my boyfriend and I spent three months living in a tent in Hastings. He was doing a journalism course and we couldn't afford for him to B and B and keep the rent up on our house. So we bought a tent and a converted minibus and set up home on a campsite. Great fun!

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Hiya Surfgurl!

Do you know what? I could move out of this house right now and happly set up camp somewhere near the sea.

If I wasn't married and didn't have a 5-yr-old I probably would do too. It would be an excellent way of saving some cash.

Thanks for dropping by!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home