Corporate Camper

Cutting commuting by camping near the office; saving cash, saving time and polluting less.

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Thinking

As you'll know if you have read the rest of my posts, I'm trying to save as much money as possible by commuting to work less and camping near the office is my main solution to this problem.

I've also mentioned in the past that the money saving is going well in terms of using a whole stack less fuel each week, but I do have to pay for the campsite each time I stay over. A night at the site costs me £7, but a return trip in the car costs about £14-£15... so I save around £7 each night I'm away.

I really want to become self sufficient for the camping part though, I do begrudge paying £7 for the use of a small patch of grass, a toilet and a shower. I want that whole £15 fuel saving to be all mine.

So, the thinking I have been doing is to try to provide the facilities I need without paying for them... What I have come up with is pretty simple idea for providing hot water for showering/washing.

The idea is that I could pick myself up an old roof-box from Freecycle and use it as storage (as intended) and also the base for a solar powered water heater. Roof box would be ideal for this as it spends all day sitting on the roof, outside, in the sun.

My idea has a few parts to it:

  1. Insulated water storage tank - This is where the water will live, it could hold a few gallons of water and would be well insulated to keep in the heat. Something along the lines of high-density foam covered container, like you find in a domestic heating system.
  2. An array of small metal capillary tubes to collect heat, perfect example of which is shown here - This chap has made a solar water heater by using the heat exchanger from the back of a fridge.
  3. A regular solar panel to run a pump - This is the good bit! I would use a small pump (like you would get in a fish tank for example) and power it with a solar panel/battery combo. The best bit is that I would rig the pump to run only when the output of the solar panel was high, when the sun is shining I'll pump water from the insulated tank, through the heater and back to the tank. When the sun is not shining (at night!) all the water stays in the super-insulated tank.

The result of all this would hopefully be a tank of warm (or hot) water on demand to shower with, I'd run the pump for the shower directly from the vehicle battery.

So... what do you think then??

6 Comments:

At 8:26 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Got to be worth a try, hasn't it? And if it doesn't work, it'll provide considerable amusement too. One thing I'd watch is that water is of course really heavy, so try to avoid slamming on the anchors and seeing the roof box firing off down the road. The thought of it...

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Good point! I think there is probably no need to have more than 10 litres of water up there, so I should be able to avoid tripling my stopping distance :-).

I'm thinking of storing the water in some sort of insulated pipe so that the load can be spread over the whole base of the box leaving plenty of useful space above it.

 
At 1:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget the increased petrol costs when you are driving. Roof box increases air resistance and decreases fuel efficiency.

 
At 1:59 AM, Blogger Steve said...

Clair, another good point, I hadn't considered that.

What I need is a something portable which I can assemble when I arrive at wherever I am staying. It would also make sense to source the water locally rather than lug it all around with me.

I keep thinking about this... I am going to have to have a go at assembling something soon. My inner Treehugger is trying to escape.

 
At 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could also go super low tech, and buy one of the many camping solar showers. Basically a black plastic bag full of water that hangs in the sun and gets warm. Then you shower from it with a special low water nozzle. PS. Thanks for linking to my solar thermal panel project. If you need any help just drop me an email. You can contact me using the contact form on my site. www.thesietch.org

Good luck. If you come up with anything really neat let me know and we can post your project on the site for the world to see :)

Shane

 
At 2:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

FinnaGenceHex
Bbog

 

Post a Comment

<< Home