Corporate Camper

Cutting commuting by camping near the office; saving cash, saving time and polluting less.

Friday, July 14, 2006

Changes

Now that the hostilities in the Middle-East have stepped up a gear we can look forward to even more expensive fuel in the coming weeks, I'll be paying even closer attention to my travels than normal in order to not spend *all* my salary at the diesel pump.

This week I changed my company car for a new one, it's a "Compact MPV" and it's much more practical than a saloon car. I have had a test run and I've found that with all the back seats folded into the floor and the front middle seat folded down (it's a Honda FR-V with 3 seats in the front) I can lie down in it with plenty of room to spare. This might lead to a change in my solo-camping set up.

If I had some spare cash I think I would get myself a "Day Shelter" like the one that Khyam do, it's a bit like a Gazebo but with sides on that can roll up. I could back the car up against a rolled up side and have a decent cooking/working/sitting area in the shelter and a sleeping area in the flat load area of the MPV. Khyam sell the Day Shelter for about £90 and I just don't think I can afford that at the moment.

There are a few reasons why I'd like to sleep in the back of the car, the biggest one is that I wouldn't have to worry so much about my snoring disturbing other people! Also, the car has a decent entertainment system so I could watch a DVD to pass the time. It has "privacy glass" too so you can't easily see in from the outside.

Maybe I'll experiment further next week!

4 Comments:

At 1:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I was wondering how you like the Honda FRV? We are thinking of getting one - we had a test drive at the weekend and our first impressions were good.

 
At 1:04 AM, Blogger Steve said...

Jo123, I love it!

It's very nice to drive (as you'll know if you have had a test drive) I like the slightly elevated driving position like you get with a 4x4 but it still feels very car like.

The 3+3 seating arrangement is the best part though because it makes the car very practical. Having a big flat load-space and still being able to carry three adults is really useful. When there are no passengers there is lots of space (obviously) and it makes it a pleasant place for the driver to be.

I have the Diesel Sport version, it's pretty fast and it handles well (if, like me, you like that sort of thing). The interior trim of the sport model isn't really to my taste, the fake wood isn't a good look and it's not as nice as the trim in the next model down.

The fuel economy isn't great, it's not as good as the diesel Passat I had before it but I can live with that (I haven't worked out what it does to the gallon, but it's not dire)

I ordered a few options with mine: Bigger wheels, Sat-Nav, Leather Seats, DVD Player and Privacy glass (it's a company car!). All these options are good, but they do seem expensive for what they are.

So, I'm happy with it! Loads of room for camping gear (and children!), enough room for an adult to sleep in the back with all the seats down (I'll cover that later!) and a very comfortable place to be.

Hope this helps!

 
At 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Steve,

Interesting to hear your views on the FRV. It was the diesel sport we tried out, and I agree about the wood trim, but we were impressed with the drive. I thought the 3 seats at the front would seem wierd, but it soon seemed quite normal and our youngest loved it!

 
At 1:32 AM, Blogger Steve said...

It's strange how normal it does feel. I thought I would struggle with the dashboard mounted gear lever and the funny hand-brake but you get used to them very quickly.

All things considered, I'm really happy with it. I've had it for just over a week and done 1100 miles and one nights sleep in it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home