Corporate Camper

Cutting commuting by camping near the office; saving cash, saving time and polluting less.

Thursday, August 17, 2006

All change

Well, I'm back from my holiday... very nice it was too.

The other big news is that I've moved projects and I'm now working closer to home; the new office is around 50 miles away and takes an hour to get there by car.

The camping I have been doing this year has had two main aims:
  1. Save cash by doing less miles
  2. Stop wasting my life by spending many hours each day in traffic.

With the new location camping will have less of an effect on these aims because the money I could save on fuel would be about the same as I would spend on pitch fees and I no longer encounter any traffic jams. It's easy to decide to stay over near work if the other option is to get home very late and leave very early, it's not like that any more.

Having said all that, I think it's fair to say that I have become more environmentally aware as a result of this experiment. My aim was purely to save myself cash and, although I did see some real savings doing it, I also began to feel really good about all the pollution I hadn't been sending into the atmosphere.

It's had a lasting effect on me and I think I'm going to try much harder to reduce the amount of pollution I create when going about my daily activities, I'll log my progress here.

The first step: I've found someone who works in the new office and lives in the same town as me, we are about to start car sharing, bingo: 50% reduction in fuel usage!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home